Depression is a serious mental illness that should not be set aside. According to National Institute of Mental Health, “depression (major depressive disorder or clinical depression) is a common but serious mood disorder. It causes severe symptoms that affect how you feel, think, and handle daily activities, such as sleeping, eating, or working.”
Depressed people feel hopeless, empty, and sad. They are very pessimistic and easily get irritated. They easily feel guilty for something they did or did not do. They feel worthless that they think of committing suicide. They think that death is the only solution to everything.
They either lose their appetite or like to eat a lot. So you can see any weight gain or weight loss. Some have trouble sleeping. Some sleep too much. They most likely have difficulty remembering and concentrating. They struggle in making decisions.
So if you are suffering from depression, there are natural treatments to help you. Together with therapy and if needed taking medications, you can fight it back.
Here are the tips you can take into consideration:
- Have a routine. Set schedules to make your mind occupied. You will be amazed how days can pass by without feeling lonely as you get busy doing productive stuffs. Set daily goals. Being depressed makes you feel worthless that the tendency is you will end up staying in a corner or in your room alone doing nothing. As the days passed by, you will feel worse as you achieved nothing. If you will set daily goals, you will feel challenged to accomplished them. Just make sure the goals are achievable to avoid being disappointed with yourself. For example, clean your room or wash the dishes.
- Choose the food you put into your mouth. Eat healthy foods. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Sometimes if you feel great about your body, you gain confidence and may avoid feeling depressed.
- Get fit. Have time to exercise. For example, ride a bicycle for 30 minutes to an hour everyday. It helps clear your mind. Or go to the gym 3 times a week, if daily is not possible. Endorphins can help you feel good.
- Try your best to have enough sleep. Having less sleep gives you trouble concentrating or remembering. It will mess up your mind. It will make you feel worse of yourself; therefore, you will feel more depressed. If you are not aware, smartphones, laptops, and computers have blue lights that can keep you awake. Minimize using them, regardless if you like to use them many hours in a day. If you have enough sleep, you feel better the moment you are awake. Your mind is clear.
- Do something fun and enjoyable. Even though you do not like to do anything and would rather stay in your room feeling lonely and alone, think of something that can make you happy, that can make you feel like life is still worth living. Once you know what it is, do it. Don’t feel miserable. Occupy your mind with things that can make you feel happy. Do something that can make you laugh or giggle.
- Try to do something different, something you haven’t done before. For example, write a novel, do bungee jumping, ride a roller coaster, learn a new language, or volunteer to help the refugees.
- Take time to travel. Visit other places. Sometimes when you see the same places every day like from home to school or office then going back home or go to a grocery store can be boring and depressing. If you go to other places for a few days, it does not mean you are escaping life but for life not to escape you. There are interesting places out there that may help change your perspectives in life. Maybe you will discover wanderlust or it will discover you. It will really help for you to have something to look forward to.
- Stop being a pessimistic. Avoid thinking of things that can destroy your day. If it is not possible, challenge yourself. Make it your goal to change the bad situation into a good one. If you think you are alone that no one really cares, maybe you are wrong. Try to connect with the people around you. Maybe they have a lot of things to say, but have the hard time connecting with you as you may have built a wall in between you and them. Let them reach out to you or reach out to them.
Life is beautiful. You may disagree right now but as soon as the dark days are over, you will see that it is.
Live life to the fullest. Don’t let anything stop you from living the life you deserve.